Elder Hall

Architect:  Elizabeth Vines – McDougall and Vines Architects

Named after Sir Thomas Elder, this building was first constructed as a part of the University of Adelaide and opened in 1900. The façade was designed in a Florentine gothic style to be in harmony with the Exhibition and Mitchell buildings that surrounded it, Freestone was used from Torode’s quarry at Stirling West and Mount Gambier freestone for the dressings, quoins and turrets.

HSR undertook the façade conservation works and internal structural works, this involved stone replacement including the intricate carving of finials and dressed stone ashlar, a consolidation process applied to façade, such as shelter coating and lead dressing to all horizontal surfaces, repairs to lead fleche and lastly, internal structural strengthening to the roof structure.